business

Family of TV producer brain-damaged after eating nuts reveal their pain when hearing a teenage girl who died …

Family of TV producer brain-damaged after eating nuts reveal their pain when hearing a teenage girl who died …

The family of the high-flying producer of this morning left the brain after eating nuts and described learning the fate of a teenager who died after an allergic reaction to a pretbaguette as & # 39; terrible & # 39 ;.

Amy May Shead, 30, was with friends in Budapest in 2014 when she only took one bite of a chicken and rice dish with nuts and received an almost fatal anaphylactic reaction.

Two doses of her EpiPen could not contain the reaction and the emergency services were called, but Amy was starved for almost six minutes by oxygen and was left in a coma with severe brain damage.

It turned out this week that Natasha Ednan-Laperouse, 15, died in July 2016 after an allergic reaction to a baguette of Pret A Manger, which contained sesame despite the fact that it was not on the ingredients list.

On this morning, Shead's aunt Julie Martin and her cousin Tom said that when they heard about Natasha's death, they had the same feeling as when Amy was struck by her injury and it's terribly odd. ; mentioned that something like that happened again.

The family of Amy May Shead, 30, appeared on This Morning today to discuss the news that a teenager died after eating a Pret A Manger baguette that did not make it clear that it contained sesame, for which she was allergic. Amy got a brain damage after a chicken and rice dish of which she did not know any nuts. Pictured from left to right: Amy & # 39; s aunt Julie Martin, Amy and her cousin Tom

The family of Amy May Shead, 30, appeared on This Morning today to discuss the news that a teenager died after eating a Pret A Manger baguette that did not make it clear that it contained sesame, for which she was allergic. Amy got a brain damage after a chicken and rice dish of which she did not know any nuts. Pictured from left to right: Amy & # 39; s aunt Julie Martin, Amy and her cousin Tom

The family of Amy May Shead, 30, appeared on This Morning today to discuss the news that a teenager died after eating a Pret A Manger baguette that did not make it clear that it contained sesame, for which she was allergic. Amy got a brain damage after a chicken and rice dish of which she did not know any nuts. Pictured from left to right: Amy & # 39; s aunt Julie Martin, Amy and her cousin Tom

Natasha Ednan-Laperouse, 15, (photo) who was allergic to sesame, died after eating a Pretbaguette that did not include it as an ingredient in 2016

Natasha Ednan-Laperouse, 15, (photo) who was allergic to sesame, died after eating a Pretbaguette that did not include it as an ingredient in 2016

Natasha Ednan-Laperouse, 15, (photo) who was allergic to sesame, died after eating a Pretbaguette that did not include it as an ingredient in 2016

Amy and her family appeared on this morning via a video link from Essex, where they were asked by Holly Willoughby and Phillip Schofield about the news.

Natasha became ill within three minutes of consuming the baguette she had bought at the Pret & # 39; s Heathrow Terminal 5 location, which she believed was safe to eat because sesame was not on the package.

The teenager, who flew to Nice with her father and a friend with BA, later suffered a heart attack and died in a French hospital. The investigation into her death began this week.

Tom, who helps the Amy May Trust on behalf of his cousin, said: "We never want anyone to come across this and when we hear that it happened it's just terrible.

She worked as a producer on This Morning

She worked as a producer on This Morning

Amy is seen before the allergic reaction that caused her brain damage

Amy is seen before the allergic reaction that caused her brain damage

Amy's family said that when they heard about Natasha's death they had the same feeling as when Amy died. Pictured: Amy for the incident (left and right)

Natasha died of a serious allergic reaction after she bought the artichoke, olive and tapenade baguette in a shop at Heathrow Terminal 5, but felt ill within a few minutes.

Natasha died of a serious allergic reaction after she bought the artichoke, olive and tapenade baguette in a shop at Heathrow Terminal 5, but felt ill within a few minutes.

Natasha died of a serious allergic reaction after she bought the artichoke, olive and tapenade baguette in a shop at Heathrow Terminal 5, but felt ill within a few minutes.

Fun did not have to mention sesame on sandwich ingredients because it was made in the store

Pret, one of the largest food chains in the country, did not have to include sesame seeds as an ingredient in the £ 3.45 sandwich.

Fun products do not have to be provided with allergen or ingredient information separately.

This is because Pret sandwiches are freshly prepared in the store.

The loophole should free small, independent sandwich stores and café chains from tricky regulations applied to factory-packaged food.

Instead, signs on shelves and at checkouts in the Pret stores tell customers with allergies to speak to a manager who has been trained to give allergen advice.

Before hearing the case, Pret had started to improve the allergen information it offers to customers, but the inquest will investigate whether more needs to be done.

Fun's website now contains a list of allergens in the food and drinks, including accentuating sesame in the baguette of artichoke, olives and tapenades.

& # 39; We go through the same feeling that we experienced in 2014. To think of another family and all the ripples they are going through, it is a terrible feeling. & # 39;

Fun products do not have to be provided with allergen or ingredient information separately. This is because Pret sandwiches are freshly prepared in the store.

Before hearing the case, Pret had started to improve the allergen information it offers to customers, but the inquest will investigate whether more needs to be done.

Fun's website now contains a list of allergens in the food and drinks, including accentuating sesame in the baguette of artichoke, olives and tapenades.

Amy's family is now campaigning to ban nuts from all flights while fighting the labeling requirements for packages that need to be tightened up so that they mention all types of allergen.

Ms. Martin said: "The ripples reach out tremendously after a tragedy like this. I must express deep sympathy to Natasha's parents and her brother because they are going through absolute hell right now.

It should have been avoidable, it should not have happened. & # 39;

In 2014 Amy had told the restaurant that she could not eat anything with nuts and the chef was also aware of the allergy, unfortunately only a mouthful of the chicken and rice dish she had chosen, led to the catastrophic reaction.

Amy (back row, middle) was an online producer for This Morning before she had a devastating reaction to nuts

Amy (back row, middle) was an online producer for This Morning before she had a devastating reaction to nuts

Amy (back row, middle) was an online producer for This Morning before she had a devastating reaction to nuts

Amy was on holiday in Budapest when she ate a bite of a chicken and rice dish in a restaurant whose chef had assured her that it was nut-free. She was left in a coma and is now severely damaged by the brain

Amy was on holiday in Budapest when she ate a bite of a chicken and rice dish in a restaurant whose chef had assured her that it was nut-free. She was left in a coma and is now severely damaged by the brain

Amy was on holiday in Budapest when she ate a bite of a chicken and rice dish in a restaurant whose chef had assured her that it was nut-free. She was left in a coma and is now severely damaged by the brain

Natasha (photo) got a heart attack on board and died in a French hospital

Natasha (photo) got a heart attack on board and died in a French hospital

Natasha (photo) got a heart attack on board and died in a French hospital

Amy administered two shots of her EpiPen – an adrenaline auto-injector – used in an emergency to treat an anaphylactic reaction.

It could not work against the allergy and it took half an hour for the doctors to bring her back.

Amy received life support when she arrived at the hospital in Budapest and her parents were told she only had thirty percent chance to stay alive and probably would not survive the week.

She spent 19 days in the hospital and after she had stabilized, she was then flown home and treated at the St. Thomas Hospital in London.

Amy spent another 11 months before being transferred to the Putney Neurological Hospital for almost a year.

Since the incident, Amy's parents have had to sell their house to finance the hospital treatment costs they need because the insurance does not cover the condition of their daughter.

The baguette she had bought at Pret & # 39; s Heathrow Terminal 5 branch had no sesame on the ingredients, says her family

The baguette she had bought at Pret & # 39; s Heathrow Terminal 5 branch had no sesame on the ingredients, says her family

The baguette she had bought at Pret & # 39; s Heathrow Terminal 5 branch had no sesame on the ingredients, says her family

Amy requires intensive physical therapy and receives speech and language therapy, which is fully funded by the trust that also covers the costs of her specialist transport and other medical needs.

A Fun spokesman said: We were deeply saddened to hear about Natasha's tragic death and our sincere thoughts are with her family.

& # 39; We take food allergies and how allergen information is provided extremely seriously. We will continue to do everything we can to support the inquest. & # 39;

.