Nissan and Mitsubishi want to reclaim almost 8 million euros that was wrongly paid to Carlos Ghosn

Renault CEO Carlos Ghosn has been held in Japan since 19 November 2018.
Renault CEO Carlos Ghosn has been held in Japan since November 19, 2018. PHILIPPE WOJAZER / REUTERS

The revelations against Renault CEO Carlos Ghosn multiply. On Friday, January 18, the Japanese car groups Nissan and Mitsubishi (NMBV) announced that they are reclaiming the sum of almost eight million euros that was unduly paid to their former boss via a subsidiary established in the Netherlands. The Netherlands.

According to the internal investigation of the two companies, the leader received " a total compensation of EUR 7 822 206.12 (including taxes) & # 39;, Nissan writes in a statement confirming the information given last week by a source familiar with the case.

"He signed a contract without consultation with other board members of the NMBV, Nissan CEO Hiroto Saikawa and Mitsubishi Motors CEO Osamu Masuko, who has no income"says the builder. Given that this is true "An error" Mr Ghosn, says Nissan "Think about ways to recuperate that money" with the businessman; By submitting a complaint, a person who is familiar with the investigations will be specified.

Read also Purchase of real estate, donations … Carlos Ghosn used Nissan to spoil his loved ones

Several times in research

The Japanese automaker, who in the summer of 2018 began investigating his CEO, Ghosn after the report of one or more whistleblowers, sent the information in the fall to the office of the public prosecutor in Tokyo. which resulted in the surprising arrest of the businessman on November 19th. Since then, the builder of the Renault-Nissan alliance, who says "Falsely accused", stays in prison. His lawyers announced on Friday that they have submitted a new application for bail, after the failure of a first request this week.

Ghosn was in particular indicted on 10 December because he had reduced his tax returns to the stock exchange authorities between 2010 and 2015. He was again on 11 January, after two new retention periods, for facts. between 2015 and 2018, and for an aggravated breach of trust. In 2008, he attributed Nissan losses on his personal investments.

Article reserved for our subscribers Read also Renault decides to prepare the follow-up of Carlos Ghosn

Nissan also accuses him of other malpractice, such as the purchase of luxury properties in Beirut, Rio or Paris, donations to universities in Lebanon, or the fictional employment of his sister in Brazil, all at the expense of Nissan. But these elements are not yet included in the reasons for persecution of the Prosecution.

In anticipation of his trial, which will not take place for several months, the businessman is already removed from the board of the boards of Nissan and Mitsubishi Motors. For its part, Renault, which initially advocated the presumption of innocence, officially sought a successor, the day after a call from the French state for a new administration.

Find our portrait: Carlos Ghosn: ambition, money and glory, to the limit
Respond or view all reactions