With the boom of the digital age, Janet Comenos saw a growing gap in the market between celebrities and companies. In 2016, he launched Spotted, a Boston-based marketing startup that connects celebrities, influencers, photographers, businesses and fans through social media marketing campaigns. Spotted was a success.
Here the executive shares his advice and tools to get the most out of every day.
What is your Off Switch?
I open the Houzz app and look through the inspiring photos of the bathroom and kitchen renovations.
What is your On Switch?
I take a quick ride through the public gardens while I blow up Rihanna in my AirPods and think about getting off a yacht with Sir Richard Branson to accept a prize on stage at Cannes. It is the same dream, in the same place, every day.
What books are on your bedside table?
The myth of the beautiful girl, written by one of my consultants, Fran Hauser. It is a highly functional book on how to balance kindness with the strength of a female executive.
Ender's game, a science fiction book that has many twists and tells the story of a boy in a battle training program, but I constantly find myself asking "what would I do in this situation?"
Never split the difference, a book written by hostage negotiator Chris Voss, deals with the nuances of a negotiation and helped me in negotiations with high-intensity clients.
Bad blood, the story of Elizabeth Holmes and the Theranos scandal, is compelling and terrifying. It's a great lesson on "what not to do when managing a company".
Manslaughter on Madison Avenue, a book about the impossible situation in which advertising agencies have imposed themselves doing more work to be paid less.
Where do you go to relax and recharge?
The San Ysidro Ranch in Ojai, California boasts a beautiful vineyard and cottages that seem to block out all outside noise. Also, they have Veuve Clicquot at check-in.
What are your travel tips?
- I pack a small Diptyque candle and switch it on next to my computer when I work late at night in my hotel room. It makes the hotel room more like home.
- A white and Warren cashmere travel package. It is exceptionally long and heavy and keeps me warm during cold flights.
- A Senreve leather bag that doubles as a backpack and doctor's bag and is perfect for a night trip.
- Putting the "Sleep Machine" app at low volume on my AirPods, so I can concentrate on working during cross-country flights. The "brown noise" setting blocks the noise that Bose earplugs and earplugs can not erase.
- I plan every suit in advance for the trip. I learned the hard way after packing too lightly for too many business trips that included daytime meetings and nighttime activities.
What is a product you are currently in love with?
Nanoleaf Aurora's intelligent lights. You can turn them into any geometric shape and stick to the wall after setting up your custom color scheme. I spent 3 hours in the office creating a Nanoleaf model in the main room, from 4:00 to 7:00, in the shape of our logo. It was a magical feeling when everyone walked that morning and were settled.
What service or tool can not you live without?
Hotel Tonight. I can book 4 and 5 star hotels on the same day I travel, 30% -40% less.
Which classic product do you think anyone has ever improved?
Bic Pens Employ an eternity short of ink and are fun to chew during meetings.
What is a product you have recently come to terms with?
A Rolex Datejust watch.