Woman dies and 18 people sick after eating mushrooms at Michelin-starred restaurant in Spain

A woman has died and 18 people, including her husband and 12-year-old son, became ill after eating at a Michelin-starred restaurant in the Spanish city of Valencia.

Named as María Jesús Fernández Calvo, the 46-year-old is believed to have been given to rice and morchella fungi dish at RiFF, which has been revealed to the cause of death.

She was reportedly celebrating her husband's birthday.

While the other people suffered mild illness Ms Bald died on Sunday morning after suffering from diarrhoea and vomiting.

Regional health chief Ana Barceló sent her condolences to the family and said that an investigation was underway.

"We told the truth." Las Provincias newspaper. "Analytical tests will be carried out on the food products."

Samples of ingredients from the restaurant have been sent to Spain's National Toxicology Institute.

The true morel mushroom Ms Bald reportedly is popular in early spring. They are normally dried out and then cooked in order to destroy any presence of hydrazine.

However, there are several species known as false morels, which can be lethal when consumed by humans.

Bernd Knöller said in a statement: "I'm trying to convey my deep regret for what happened,"

He added: "I have made the decision that the restaurant remains closed until the causes of what happened are established and the activity can be resumed with full staff for both staff and all customers."

Mr Knöller said he is fully co-operating with the authorities.


We'll tell you what's true. You can form your own view.

Acts The Independent, no one tells us what to write. "That's why, in an era of political lies" and "Brexit bias". Subscribe from just 15p a day for extra exclusives, events and ebooks – all with no ads.

Subscribe now

.