- The day after the attack on two mosques in Christchurch, New Zealand's Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern announces plans to tighten arms legislation.
- The main suspect of the attack had used five weapons – including two semi-automatic weapons – which he had been allowed to possess legally, as he had a license, said Ardern. She wants to draw conclusions now.
- The 28-year-old prime suspect, Australian Brenton Tarrant, was presented to a judge on Saturday (local time).
After the attack on two mosques on Thursday, New Zealand wants to change its weapons laws. New Zealand's Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern announced this at a press conference on Saturday morning (local time).
As Ardern explained, the alleged assassin used five weapons, including two semi-automatic weapons. For these weapons he had possessed certificates and possessed them according to New Zealand law.
From this one would draw consequences now and focus again on the debate over the gun laws. The laws "will change," said Ardern. Several times have been in the past few years already started, "now is the time for a change," she said. In New Zealand, every citizen over the age of 16 can get a firearm license if they have previously taken a safety course.
The attack on two mosques On Friday, 49 people were killed in Christchurch, dozens more were injured. A 28-year-old Australian is considered the main culprit. Most recently, he lived in Dunedin south of Christchurch. Ardern also confirmed that the assassin was so far not in the sights of the New Zealand security authorities, although he had made an extremist statement on the Internet. It was checked whether the man would have noticed the authorities earlier, said the Prime Minister.
Two more suspects are still in custody, Ardern confirmed. The investigation into whether and how those involved in the attacks are still ongoing. First, the police arrested four people. The fourth person, however, was a citizen who, although armed, had tried to help on the spot, explained Ardern.
The alleged chief culprit was brought before a judge on Saturday morning (local time). The New Zealand judge officially blamed the 28-year-old Australian Brenton Tarrant at the hearing. Tarrant followed the hearing with no apparent emotion. He did not petition for bail and remains in custody. On April 5, he is to appear again in court.