Employee shot at University of Maryland Hospital in Baltimore; accused accused of attempted murder - Baltimore Sun.

A 24-year-old employee at the University of Maryland School of Medicine is in a critical but stable condition after being shot down outside the university hospital in Baltimore on Monday morning, police and hospital officials said.

UPDATE: & # 39; I want him dead & # 39 ;: Suspect has been shot victim at hospital University of Maryland after termination relationship, police says:

The shooting in the medical center of the University of Maryland brought the Baltimore medical community into turmoil, a close-knit group in which some doctors have already called for measures to reduce gun violence in Baltimore and beyond.

"I have done too many of these things with you," Dr. Thomas M. Scalea, head of the R. Adams Cowley Shock Trauma Center at the hospital, to reporters at a press conference Monday morning. "It is as close to home as it has ever been."

The victim, who did not identify the police, was just east of an ambulance port, in the 600 block off W. Redwood Street, when he was shot in his face and rear at about 7 o'clock in the morning, law enforcement. The University of Maryland police arrested a suspect, a 26-year-old man, with a loaded gun about two blocks north of the hospital shortly after the shooting, according to the Baltimore Police Department.

The police think the victim knew the alleged gunman, said spokesman Matt Jablow, although the nature of their relationship was unclear.

Late Monday afternoon, the police identified the suspect as Jamar Haughton, 26, of the 900 block from Lemmon St. Haughton, who was detained at the central booking and reception facility in Baltimore from Monday afternoon, was charged with attempted murder, sexual assault, reckless danger, and various firearm related costs, the police said.

Haughton had no lawyer listed in online judicial archives on Monday night and could not be reached for comment.

Scalea said that doctors treated the victim, who were on life support. He said he hoped the victim would recover.

The hospital was locked after the shooting, but after the police had scanned the area, the facility quickly resumed normal operations.

"We were not bankrupt at any time," Scalea said. "We remained open and ready to take care of someone else."

The shooting was an "isolated event," Lieutenant Colonel Baltimore Kevin Jones said at a press conference. "At no time was the general public at risk."

Jones said there was no indication that the shooting was related to others in the area.

Monday's shooting followed an incident in June in a behavioral clinic on the campus of the University of Maryland Medical Center, where the Baltimore police shot a 27-year-old man and accused him of a chair and a knife.

Also in October 2017 a woman was arrested and accused of fatally stabbing her husband, Christopher Yancey Sr., 33, in a room in the Johns Hopkins Hospital, where their son was treated. The wife, Anita Nicole Jones, 31, according to the court in the case in May trial.

The latest recordings reverberated in the medical community of Baltimore, including Johns Hopkins Hospital, where in 2010 a doctor was shot and survived with the help of his colleagues. Paul Warren Pardus, 50, shot and killed his 84-year-old mother, wounded her doctor, and then fatally killed herself because he believed her doctor failed her.

Dr. Joseph Sakran, a Hopkins trauma surgeon, did not know that doctor, David B. Cohen. But he said that it all felt personal, because Sakran was also a victim of gun violence when he was in high school and in November launched the viral Twitter campaign @ThisIsOurLane after a tweet from the National Rifle Association had told doctors "in their jobs to stay "when it came to arms control.

He said that the medical staff in the four trauma hospitals of Baltimore repeatedly see the destruction of gunshots. Those data show a growth of about two per day that needed emergency relief in 2015 after a peak in violence after the death of Freddie Gray.

Baltimore has committed more than 300 murders over the last four years, most of which are the result of deadly shootings.

Shooting is a small but growing percentage of emergency visits, which generally decrease in Maryland. However, the wounds have become much more devastating from larger caliber guns. Hospitals have taken steps to address suffering and fatigue among staff, such as adding meditation sessions and discussion groups.

When the victim is a colleague, or from the medical community, it is still shocking, said Sakran, who recommends those concerned to seek care when they need it and also discuss shooting with others to relieve their emotional load.

"It is one of those things that makes you realize that we are all sensitive to a victim of armed violence," he said. "We are all human beings, I do not think anyone can deny that it is someone you know or are close to, the emotions are high."

He said he heard about the efforts to provide Hopkins for Cohen and is confident that the Maryland staff acted in a similar professional way to treat their colleagues.

"When we are needed, we enter a mode where we make one life-saving decision after another," he said.

What he wants now is to prevent avoidable deaths & # 39; against the violence of weapons. He was preparing for a testimony of the Congress on the subject of investigation and investigation of weapons when he heard about the shooting at the University of Maryland. It makes him more determined, he said.

Baltimore Sun reporters Kevin Rector and Colin Campbell contributed to this article.

Leave a comment

Send a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.