news

Former school leader sentenced to 15 years in prison for raping and sexually assaulting students

Former school leader sentenced to 15 years in prison for raping and sexually assaulting students

The victims were boys aged 6 to 9 at the time of the incident.

A former leader of the city of Courbevoie (Hauts-de-Seine) was sentenced to 15 years in prison in Nanterre on Friday 14 September for rape of 15 children and rape on two of them, committed between 2011 and 2015. The victims were boys between 6 and 9 years old. This verdict ended six days of painful debates, in which parents and children faced the accused, who for the first time recognized the facts of rape. "Remember that he has abused a large number of victims, that they were extremely young, that they have used their trust, their age and naivety"said attorney general Aurélia Gandray before he asked 16 to 18 years in prison.

"I do not deny the family, the personal and professional difficulties of the suspect, it is his story and I respect him, but what I can not bear are these despicable, gruesome acts committed by a responsible adult", said the general counsel. The former facilitator, adopted a few months ago in India by a wealthy family, had significant academic problems and eventually moved on to animation in 2012, with the status of a disabled employee. During the hearing, he confessed that he himself had become the victim of sexual abuse, particularly among Scouts.

"The only victims are on the side of the civilian parties", he immediately assured his lawyer, Sammy Jeanbart. "Simply, you are judges, you have to integrate the complexity of the situations and you can not (…) simply refer to the real pain of the victims, the families, the obvious damage that has been committed by the suspect and the evacuation of the reality of what it is. The lawyer recalled that his client had recognized almost all the facts and that he had already started therapeutic work in prison, urging him to "social benefit" of pain: "It is not a service to society to make someone completely destroyed by detention"he begged.

On Thursday, the civilian parties in this case raised another important question: two reports, in 2012 and 2013, made to the hierarchy of the host and whose justice was unaware at the time. "The known and identified victims of the suspect are already numerous, but what is unbearable in this case is that there could have been fewer", launched Me Nathalie Bucquet, for the Innocence association in danger. In this respect, an investigation against X for "non-cancellation" was opened in the autumn of 2017, but it has not yet been completed.