MEMPHIS, Tenn. – After a successful start to the 2018-19 campaign on winning the Tiger Open, the Memphis University rifle is taking the road for the Great America Rifle Conference (GARC) matches at Army West Point and West Virginia.
The tigers face the cadets in West Point, N.Y., Saturday, and then travel to Morgantown, W.Va., to meet the mountaineers. Both games start at 8 o'clock in the morning (CT).
Last year, Memphis organized both Army West Point and West Virginia at the R.F. Fogelman Rifle Range and dropped both games.
The Tigers started the campaign 2018-19 by winning their own Tiger Open. Memphis shot against Jacksonville State in the event and defeated the Gamecocks 4649-4648.
After two weeks of competition, the Tigers returned to the number 14 spot in the Collegiate Rifle Coaches Association (CRCA) poll. Memphis dropped to number 15 in the first vote of the regular season after the start of number 14 in the preseason poll.
|2.||West Virginia||12.||Ohio State|
|5.||Air force||15.||Morehead State|
|8.||Jacksonville State||18.||North Georgia|
Head coach Dan Hermsmeier comments
(On the road trip to Army West Point)
"This is really a good first road trip for us, Army West Point has a good team, I believe that our team will improve when we shoot against the best teams, and Army West Point will be a very good challenge for us."
(When he returned to West Virginia, where he served as assistant assistant assistant)
"It will be great to go back there to see the coaches and the facilities, we are shooting at their new electronic target, the mobile range system they have there." We shot at the conference championships last year. match atmosphere to shoot. West Virginia always offers a great challenge, and we will become a better team because we compete against them. "
- The Tigers made history during their last trip to West Point, N.Y., in the 2016-17 season. Memphis defeated the Cadets for the first time in West Point, N.Y., in the program history of Tigers. Memphis squeaked past with a victory of 4652-4641.
- Senior Leighton Demspter and junior Levi Clark are the only two current Tigers that shoot at Army West Point. In that 2016 game Clark scored the highest total score of the game (1169) and Dempster was sixth (1157).
- Sunday trip to Morgantown, W.Va., is a "second-home-home" trip for the head coach of Tigers Dan Hermsmeier. The Memphis mentor took his team of Tigers 2017 drivers to Morgantown last February for the Great America Rifle Conference (GARC) Championships. After obtaining his undergraduate degree in Memphis, Hermsmeier moved to West Virginia, where he was assistant to the Mountaineers program for two years.
- Levi Clark shot a career-high 1171 aggregate against West Virginia in Morgantown two seasons ago. He also set a career-best 588 in air rifle. Clark bound both of those brands to the NCAA Sectional Qualifier 2018 in Murray, Ky.
- The game between Memphis and West Virginia on Sunday includes two of the top eight finishers in smallbore during the 2018 NCAA Championships. Levi Clark, a Tigers junior, placed sixth and Mountaineers junior Morgan Phillips won the NCAA title in the discipline.