- Joachim Löw comments on the situation in Frankfurt with his three world champions Hummels, Boateng and Müller.
- He plans on the way to the European Championship 2020 without them, confirms Löw.
- But the national coach also says: "We did not ban them from the national team, they did not do anything wrong."
On Wednesday evening Joachim Löw sat on the auditorium in Munich. The coach has not only considered the deserved out of Bayern in the Champions League against Liverpool, but was allowed to feel confirmed for the moment in his recent personnel policy. Three prominent Bayern players he had previously attractively removed from his national team: Mats Hummels, Jérôme Boateng, Thomas Müller.
The coach would certainly be in need of clarification, had the three against Liverpool now made huge plays. But Hummels had to accept three goals as defense boss, Boateng sat only on the bench. Müller could not prove himself – he was locked.
On Friday afternoon Löw then sat at the media meeting in the DFB headquarters in Frankfurt / Main to announce his squad for the upcoming internationals. In order to express himself but also to the three personalities, where he had previously made by association communication for apparent clarity. 2019 is "the year of the new beginning," Loew had declared. Hummels and Müller, who did not want to accept the finality of the decision, were particularly disturbed by these words. Hummels stressed that he does not rule out a comeback in the national team, also Müller has already made appropriate hints ("the game is not over yet").
The three world champions would have "nothing wrong," says Löw
And Löw? Talked a lot on Friday afternoon, but avoided the crucial question consistently. Is a comeback of Hummels, Boateng and Müller basically possible or not? "I told them I was planning to qualify for the European Championship without them," said Löw. Three such well-deserved players deserve a clear message, everything else would have been a "egg dance". The step was "incredibly difficult for him because we owe these players a hell of a lot".
The question of a possible comeback of his world champion caused Löw to make an evasive maneuver. "What's in a year? These are all hypothetical things," said Löw slightly annoyed: "We have not banned them from the national team, they did not do anything wrong." However, such a scenario does not seem likely (at least as long as the national coach Löw is called).
He had telephoned the players again, the relationship with them was fine, said Loew. Hummels and Müller had also assured him that "they are basically available for the national team". He took note of this. For the time being, however, Löw relies on younger players: Niklas Stark (Hertha BSC), Lukas Klostermann (RB Leipzig) and Maximilian Eggestein (Werder Bremen) move into the squad for the upcoming internationals. More players would follow in the coming months. "Now it needs change," Loew said, "now others have to grow into this role."
Hummels, Boateng and Müller are free in the foreseeable future, if the DFB-Elf plays – so on Wednesday in Wolfsburg against Serbia (20:45, Liveticker on SZ.de) and four days later in Amsterdam in the European Championship qualifier against the Netherlands. Whether they watch the games on television may be considered questionable.