Sports

Floyd Mayweather: no formal agreement to defeat Tenshin Nasukawa

Floyd Mayweather: no formal agreement to defeat Tenshin Nasukawa

So that fight between Floyd Mayweather and the Japanese kickboxing phenomenon Tenshin Nasukawa, was the prelude to a big MMA event on New Year's Eve in a 37,000-seat arena near Tokyo? Well, it is possible that the promoters of the fight had a slight advantage over themselves.

For example, they do not seem to have fully received Mayweather on board with the idea to rate on his Instagram after Wednesday. The 41-year-old boxer said he "never agreed to an official fight" and instead had the impression that he would take part in an "exhibition competition" for a "small group of wealthy spectators."

Mayweather appeared at a press conference in Tokyo Monday with Nasukawa, seemingly to promote the fight, but he said Wednesday that when he arrived at the media session, he and his team "were completely derailed by the new direction this event took," adding that they "should have put an end to it immediately." He said he was led to believe that he would be part of a "special contest" that was "purely for entertainment purposes" without the intention of being displayed as an official fight card and broadcast worldwide. "

"I sincerely apologize to my fans for the very misleading information that was announced at this press conference," said Mayweather in his position, "and I can assure you that I too was completely blind to the arrangements that were made without my consent. or approval. "

View this post on Instagram

Now that I am back on American soil after a long and disappointing trip to Tokyo, I now have the time to address you, my fans and the media with regard to the upcoming event on December 31, recently announced. First and foremost, I want it to be clear that I, Floyd Mayweather, never agreed to an official attack with Tenshin Nasukawa. In fact (with all due respect) I have never heard of him until this recent trip to Japan. Eventually I was asked to participate in a 9-minute exhibition of 3 rounds with an opponent selected by the "Rizen Fighting Federation". What I was originally informed about by Brent Johnson of "One Entertainment" was that this would be an exhibition for a small group of rich spectators at a very high price. This exhibition was previously organized as a "Special Challenge" purely for entertainment purposes, without the intention to be presented as an official fight card, nor to be broadcast worldwide. Once I arrived at the press conference, my team and I were completely derailed by the new direction this event had taken and we should have stopped it immediately. I sincerely apologize to my fans for the very misleading information that was announced at this press conference and I can assure you that I too was completely blinded by the arrangements that were made without my permission or approval. Because of the different fans and attendees who came to this past press conference from all parts of the world, I hesitated to cause a huge disruption by fighting what was said and I am really sorry for that. I am a retired boxer who earns an unprecedented amount worldwide for performances, lectures and occasional small exhibitions.

A message shared by Floyd Mayweather (@floydmayweather)

Nasukawa, for his part, had the impression that the fight more or less & # 39; officially & # 39; would be. In a Twitter post focusing on the profane, inflammatory reaction of Conor McGregor to the press conference, Nasukawa referred to the loss of Irish MMA star 2017 to Mayweather in a boxing match by saying "I promise to avenge your loss, so watch out please on my fight. "

A news release issued Monday by Rizin, the MMA company that is fighting, said (via MMA Mania) that Mayweather Nasukawa would play on December 31 in the Saitama Super Arena. According to the company, the only major problems related to the fight were related to the format, so many observers suspected that it would only go boxing, but intrigued with the possibility that there would be at least some MMA rules.

"As far as the weight class and the rules are concerned, we will talk about that and we will find that within the next few weeks," said Mayweather at the press conference (via Yahoo Sports). "This special race is a special competition as far as we give people something they have never seen before.The world has never seen Mayweather compete live in Tokyo."

The undefeated boxer, who has a 50-0 record (Nasukawa is 27-0 in kickboxing, 4-0 in MMA matches), also said Monday that he would like to strengthen his partnership with Rizin while growing his brand in Japan. "I would like to continue working with Rizin because Rizin is an incredible company," he said, "and my company, we have done some huge battles in the US, but we look forward to taking the banner Mayweather Promotions and the TMT. banner worldwide. "

In his post-Wednesday, Mayweather pointed to an apparent distance between what he was told by Brent Johnson, an entertainment manager from Los Angeles who allegedly helped the Rizin officials to come up with the match, and what the Japanese company called at the press conference. Mayweather claimed that he did not contradict them at the time because he "hesitated to cause a huge disturbance by fighting what was being said."

That does not necessarily sound like the Mayweather that fight fans have seen – and heard – for the past two decades, he has been anything but a shrinking pansy in media circles and on other occasions. It is possible that he was slightly hurt by being on foreign soil with unknown promotional partners, but in any case it remains to be seen whether some version of the fight is going forward.

There have been reports of Mayweather's interest in possible rematches with McGregor and / or Manny Pacquiao, but the last line in his Instagram message seemed to be intended to give the impression that his career as a fighter in officially sanctioned periods would count for his record. was over, even though his dedication to attracting as much income as possible was in full swing. "I am a retired boxer who earns an unprecedented amount worldwide for performances, lectures and occasional small exhibitions," he said.

Read more from The Post:

LaMelo Ball returns to basketball in high school and it is already absurd

NBA players were just as impressed with Duke's havoc as everyone else

ESPN & # 39; s Stephen A. Smith says the Wizards' situation is an abomination & # 39; and a & shame & # 39; is

Bryce Harper and the Nationals take the main road. Both will benefit.

Post Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.