On the eve of the big international meeting of the hundred-year-old ceremonies where he is expected, the Turkish head of state puts the matter on the agenda. The gentlemen. Trump and Macron, for their part, asked for full clarification in Riyadh.
The existence of sound recordings of the murder of Jamal Khashoggi, Saudi journalist, on 2 October at the Saudi consulate in Istanbul, was mentioned several times anonymously. Like so many revelations that had filtered the matter in the Turkish press to orders of power, but also in American media in the month of October, this information had been lent to mysterious officials who had never been mentioned. It is now official: the Turkish president, Recep Tayyip Erdogan, confirmed Saturday 10 October that Ankara had made many recordings in the Saudi consulate about the killing of Khashoggi.
"We gave the recordings, we gave them to Saudi Arabia, we gave them to Washington, the Germans, the French and the English"said the Turkish head of state at a television press conference. The Presidency then explained that the recordings had been listened to, but no written documents had been shared. "They listened to the conversations that took place here, they know it"Erdogan continued. On November 2, a month after the death of journalist Jamal Khashoggi, the Turkish president had already protested in a forum that on November 2 in the Washington Post the "Highest levels of the Saudi government" to have ordered the murder, without involving King Salman.
Body cut and dissolved in acid
It is indeed his son, the almighty prince inheriting Mohammed Ben Salman, nicknamed MBS, who is the target of Ankara. After initially denying his murder, the Saudi authorities finally asserted that the journalist had been killed during an operation. "Not allowed" by Riyadh. But more than a month after his death, the body of Jamal Khashoggi has still not been found. An Erdogan adviser, Yasin Aktay, said in early November that the journalist's body had been cut into pieces and then dissolved in acid.
Mr. Erdogan's statements come shortly before the major international gathering of the hundred-year ceremonies of the 14-18 Paris Armistice and the Peace Forum that will open in the French capital on Sunday. They put the Khashoggi case back on the agenda, with gray areas still surrounding the circumstances of the murder, while Saudi Arabia is increasingly being challenged for its military involvement in Yemen in the conflict with the Houthi rebels. and the humanitarian crisis it has caused in the country.
Amal Hussain, the Yemeni girl who is the & # 39; one & # 39; from the & # 39; New York Times & # 39; made, died of malnutrition
In Paris, French President Emmanuel Macron and his American counterpart, Donald Trump, who met face-to-face on Saturday morning on the Elysée, said that Saudi Arabia still "Full clarifications" about the murder of Jamal Khashoggi, according to a source on the Elysee quoted by Reuters. The two heads of state also agreed that this case should not be an additional destabilizing factor in the region. According to the same source, they also believed that the Khashoggi affair and its diplomatic consequences could provide an opportunity to pave the way for a political solution to the war in Yemen.
Hatice Cengiz: "I demand that those who invented, ordered and committed the murder of Jamal Khashoggi be judged"