Government information: Venezuela has electricity again

The water was scarce, patients in hospitals died: the power outage in Venezuela has again put the population to the test. According to the government, the problems are now solved.

After almost a week without electricity, the energy supply in Venezuela will be restored according to the government. Because of the fire in a substation, there are only a few problems in two cities near the capital Caracas, said information minister Jorge Rodriguez. The supply of running water was again assured up to 80 percent.

Since Thursday last week, a massive power outage had paralyzed large parts of the South American country. Opponents of the government see the cause of the blackout in maladministration and lack of maintenance of facilities in the troubled oil state.

Head of state Nicolás Maduro accused the other side of the cyber attack that the US and the opposition had planned for the collapse of energy supplies.

Investigation into Guaidó

For sabotage, investigations were launched against the opposition leader and self-proclaimed interim president Juan Guaidó. He had called because of the power outage for new protests against the government.

After a forced break of a few days, people now have to go back to work, said Minister Rodríguez. Schools and universities, on the other hand, should reopen on Friday for security reasons.

The power outage had hit the country already hit by a crisis hard. The scarce food rotten, people had to get water from rivers, people died in hospitals. Public transport collapsed, long lines lined up at the gas stations.

Tagesschau24 reported on this subject on March 14, 2019 at 10:00 a.m.

,

Leave a comment

Send a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.