world

Man suspected of sending bombs to Trump critics charged in 30-count indictment

Man suspected of sending bombs to Trump critics charged in 30-count indictment

Federal prosecutors in New York on Friday secured a 30-count indictment against the man accused or mailing possible bombs to prominent Democrats and Trump critics across the country, bringing charges to prominent Democrats and Trump critics across the country.

Cesar Sayoc, 56, who had been living in a van in Aventura, Fla., Faces a possible sentence of life in prison on the basis of the charges, which include five counts of a weapon of mass destruction, five counts of illegal mailing or explosives, and five counts of threatening interstate communications. His next court appearance was not immediately scheduled.

An attorney for Sayoc did not immediately respond to a message seeking comment.

Authorities have their sayings Sayoc is responsible for mailing 16 possible explosive devices to people-considered foes or President Trump, including former president Barack Obama, former secretary of state Hillary Clinton, former attorney general Eric H. Holder Jr., liberal billionaire George Soros and others. Sayoc was arrested and charged with five counts. Shortly after he was in tasks into custody, they were sent through the mail.

None of the devices exploded. FBI Director Christopher A. Wray said they were not hoaxes.

Family members and associates of Sayoc's have said he was a troubled man who struggled with mental-health problems and song as he sought to find an identity with which he was comfortable. He worked in strip clubs, dabbled in bodybuilding and had frequent run-ins with the law, including a 2002 incident in which he was forced to blow up a Florida utility company.

As far back as 2015, he took an interest in Trump attending campaign events and posting on social media in his support for the then-presidential candidate. Sayoc covered the heather in pro-Trump stickers and decals of the president's opponents with crosshairs over their faces.

Prosecutors have alleged that Sayoc is planning to send the possible bombs – whether six inches or PVC pipe, a small clock, a battery, and what authorities termed "energetic," or possibly explosive, material – as far back as July. The Internet search history on his phone showed he searched "hilary Clinton hime [sic] address "on July 15 and" address Debbie wauserman Shultz "on July 26.

Each of the packages listed Shultz – a likely misspelling or Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz (D-Fla.) – in the return address. Sayoc searched in September and October for the addresses of others – including Obama, Sen. Cory Booker (D-N.J.), Sen. Kamala D. Harris (D-Calif.) And major Democratic donor Tom Steyer, prosecutors have said.

The FBI linked Sayoc to the devices via fingerprints and a possible DNA match, authorities have said. His attorney in Florida, where he first appeared in court, has called the evidence against Sayoc "flimsy."

Post Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.