NAIROBI, Kenya – The latest attack on a hotel in Nairobi, Kenya (all times local):
Another explosion and gunshots were heard in the hotel complex in the capital of Kenya, even after the authorities announced that everything was safe after Tuesday's attack.
The artillery came not long after dozens of survivors who had been stored in the Nairobi complex overnight were released.
The Interior Ministry of Kenya has said that authorities "clean up" the scene, but have not given any details about the fate of the attackers. It is not known whether there is still one that is still in the neighborhood.
The al-Shabab extremist group has claimed responsibility.
Kenya's interior ministry says there is no further threat to the public in the hotel attack in Nairobi and that citizens who are in a building are secured & # 39; have been safely evacuated.
A tweet on Wednesday morning says that all buildings and the surrounding area are safe.
The Kenyan authorities have not yet announced the fate of the attackers. At least four were shown on surveillance videos that stormed the hotel on Tuesday afternoon.
The ministry simply says that the "mop-up process" continues.
At least 15 people have died, including an American.
According to the US State Department, a US citizen was murdered Tuesday morning when extremists stormed a luxury hotel in the capital of Kenya.
The Islamic militant group in Africa, al-Shabab, demanded responsibility for the attack, in which explosions took place and people were shot at cafe tables. It is the same group that carried out the attack in 2013 in the nearby Westgate shopping center in Nairobi, killing 67 people.
A department official confirmed Tuesday that a US citizen was killed, but refused to identify the individual. The official said that the Ministry of Foreign Affairs condolences the victim's family and friends. Out of respect for relatives of the deceased, the department has rejected further comment.
The official was not authorized to publicly discuss the case and only spoke on condition of anonymity.
– Deb Riechmann in Washington
A Kenyan policeman says that 15 bodies were taken to the mortuary after an attack on a luxury hotel complex in Nairobi, claimed by the extremist group al-Shabab. The officer spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak to reporters.
The al-Qaida-affiliated al-Shabab, based in neighboring Somalia, has claimed that 47 people were killed, but it did not give details in a message by its Shahada news agency.
Almost 12 hours have passed since the attack began and the Kenyan authorities have not yet announced that the attackers are dead, detained or on the run. Surveillance images showed at least four attackers.
Families have said that some people are still hiding in the complex.
Some family members say their loved ones are still trapped in a hotel complex in Nairobi, even after the Kenyan authorities said all buildings were safe after a deadly attack.
"I have just talked to my brother and we exchange text messages", says a woman who gives her name only as Nelly. "He is there and he told me that they are hiding with more than 10 other people." She says he works in a building next to the hotel.
"Why does the government say they have saved them?" She asks.
Gunfire has been heard since the Kenya Minister of the Interior announced that the scene was secured.
Calvin Kerich says he has had contact with his nephew, another employee who is still trapped.
The Kenyan broadcaster NTV reports that in the past half hour more gunshots have occurred at the site of the attack on a luxury hotel complex in Nairobi.
The station says that peace has now returned, but the gunfire indicates that attempts to secure the complex may not be over yet.
The gunfire came a little over an hour after the Interior Minister in Kenya had said that all the buildings affected by the attack had been secured and that security forces were in the final stages of clearing the scene.
The government of Somalia expresses its "strong condemnation" of the deadly attack on a luxurious hotel complex in the capital of Kenya. The extremist group al-Shabab from Somalia has claimed responsibility for the attack.
Somalia's foreign ministry in a statement says that the attack by at least four gunmen "once again reveals the horrible face of terrorism". The declaration expresses its solidarity with those affected.
Al-Shabab has sworn retaliation against Kenya for sending troops to Somalia since 2011. The al-Qaida-linked group has killed hundreds of people in Kenya.
Kenya's Citizen TV broadcasts surveillance footage showing at least four attackers as they storm a luxury hotel complex in Nairobi.
Two of the shooters are shown while shooting in the direction of a car. Later the four attackers split and went in different directions.
Kenyan authorities have not said how many attackers are involved and if there are people in general. They have said that the complex is now secured.
Kenya's Interior Minister says that all buildings hit by an extremist attack on a hotel complex in Nairobi are secured and that security forces are in the final stage of mopping.
Fred Matiang & i said that "I would like to repeat that the situation is under control and the country is safe."
He did not give a toll of the dead or wounded. Witnesses have reported up to five bodies in the attack claimed by Somalia-based extremist group al-Shabab.
According to a Foreign Ministry spokesperson, the United States condemns the "senseless act of violence" in a luxury hotel in the capital of Kenya.
The spokesman said the US embassy in Nairobi is keeping a close watch on the attack and working with the Kenyan authorities to determine if US citizens are being affected.
Meanwhile, U.N. Secretary-General Antonio Guterres "the terrible terrorist act".
Authorities have not announced a death toll, but witnesses have reported five bodies in the attack that was claimed by Somalia-based extremist group al-Shabab.
Survivors of the lethal attack on a hotel complex in Nairobi describe an overwhelming explosion and the bodies of people shot while sitting in a cafe.
Enoch Kibet, who works there as a cleaner, says: "We changed our services and then I heard a loud bang and screamed people." She crawled out of a fence in the basement.
She says, "I could not believe I was alive, the blast was so hard and shook the whole complex."
A waitress who only gave her first name, Lily, trembled when she described the attackers who shot people in the Secret Garden cafe and people who were bleeding on tables. She says that "these are terrorists and they have to be stopped because there are many people in this complex."
9 o'clock in the evening.
Associated Press video from inside a hotel in Nairobi during an extremist attack shows Kenyan security officials who are anxiously searching the building and are worried that workers are emerging from shelters while gunfire is being heard.
Some women climb out of the windows. One man stands up from the floor, where he tried to hide under a piece of wood paneling and then showed his ID badge.
"We do ourselves a favor, we make clear what we can see," says an officer when they come closer to what appears to be a shattered entrance.
The images show officials looking for luxury fashion shows and other areas, while injured people are run away on stretchers.
8:30 in the evening.
The national chief of Kenya said that the coordinated attack on a hotel in Nairobi started with an explosion where three vehicles were hit outside a bank while a suicide bomber blew up in the hotel lobby.
Joseph Boinnet says the lobby explosion has seriously injured a number of hotel guests.
He says that the operation against the attackers is "still ongoing" and that several offices are secured.
Authorities have still not released a death toll, while witnesses have reported that they saw up to five bodies.
A Somali diplomat says Somali officials were in a hotel in Nairobi for meetings at the time it was attacked Tuesday and some still fear to be inside. The diplomat spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak to reporters.
The al-Shabab extremist group claimed responsibility and said that the attack started with a suicide attack, in which gunmen then stormed the hotel.
A Kenyan intelligence officer said the country had been alert since November with information about possible attacks on high-profile targets in Nairobi, but the extremists were confusing security officials by changing their target locations. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak to reporters.
A witness of the attack on a luxury hotel complex in the capital of Kenya says that he has seen five bodies.
The man who only gave his name when Ken said that the bodies were at the entrance of the hotel. He says that other people screamed for help and "when we hurried back to try to save them, we got gunshots from above and we had to bend over because they attacked us and we could see two men shoot."
Separately, rescue workers say that two of the people who brought them to a local hospital were dead on arrival. The rescuers spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak to reporters.
The authorities have not yet released figures on deaths or injuries.
Some Kenyan hospitals rely on blood donations because the number of people injured during an attack on a luxury hotel complex in Nairobi remains unknown.
The night has fallen and it is not immediately clear whether attackers are still active in the complex and how many people may be trapped or hiding.
The al-Qaida-affiliated al-Shabab extremist group has claimed responsibility for the attack. It happened a short distance from the Westgate Mall, which attacked al-Shabab in 2013 and killed 67 people.
A Kenyan policeman who was first on the scene of the attack on a luxury hotel complex said: "There was no time to count the dead, but it is true that there are people who are dead."
The officer says that some bodies were downstairs in restaurants and that colleagues saw others in offices upstairs.
The officer says that blood and glass are all over and gunshots continue. The officer spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to talk to the press.
The national chief of Kenya says they are aware that some attackers may still be in a posh Nairobi complex and that special forces are trying to wash them away.
Joseph Boinnet confirmed no deaths and did not injure a number of people at the attack in the Westlands neighborhood.
The police chief says they consider this a "terrorist attack" and he urges people to remain calm. He says that the police are looking forward to "bring the situation to normality in the shortest possible time".
Kenyans keep a close watch on the police response after officers have taken hours to respond to a deadly attack on the nearly Westgate Mall in 2013.
The attack on a luxury hotel complex in the capital of Kenya comes a day after a magistrate court decided that three men had to go on accusation that they were involved in a fatal attack on a shopping center in Nairobi in 2013.
The magistrate said on Monday that he was satisfied with the evidence from prosecutors who seemed to link the three suspects to the days-long siege of Westgate Mall in which 67 people were killed. A fourth suspect was freed for lack of evidence.
The Somalian Islamic extremist group al-Shabab has claimed responsibility for that attack and has claimed responsibility for that attack on Tuesday.
The police say they detonated a car that they said had explosives. The blast sent people at the scene of an attack on a luxury complex in the capital of Nairobi, which stooped and screamed.
Officers have left other vehicles that they suspect of having explosives.
Other officers went shopping to shop in the complex in the Westlands district. It is a short walk from Westgate Mall, where in 2013 a fatal extremist attack took place.
The Somali-based extremist group al-Shaba has claimed responsibility for this attack.
A witness says that he has seen at least two bodies at the site of an attack on a luxury hotel complex in the capital of Kenya.
Robert Murire tells that he has called emergency services.
He says he saw that attackers wore green and wrapped in ammunition. It was not clear how many people attacked. The Somalian-based extremist group al-Shabab claims responsibility for the attack and said its members are still fighting.
Gunfire remains audible on the spot, causing some people to dive and scream behind cars.
Somalian-based extremist group al-Shabab claims responsibility for the attack on a luxury hotel complex in Nairobi and says that its members are still fighting inside.
The al-Qaida-linked group explained the claim via his radio arm, Andalus.
Explosions and gunshots have been heard in the complex in the Westlands neighborhood, because dozens of people have disappeared from the scene.
At least one person can be seen in bomb disposal equipment. An unexploded grenade is seen in a hallway of the mall.
Citizens, including some women who wept, ran away from the Nairobi hotel complex because inside, sporadic gunfire was heard. One man who escaped the attack said he was hiding inside until he could run away. He said that a lot was shot in the complex.
An armored vehicle has arrived at the continued attack on the DusitD2 hotel complex in Riverside West, the suburb of Nairobi in Riverside. Police and army are on the spot. Citizens in civilian clothes go from shop to shop to clean up trapped civilians who run away from the complex.
While a car bomb smolts outside the gate, sporadic gunfire can be heard from the complex.
A luxury hotel complex in the capital of Kenya is attacked, with a blast and heavy artillery. Witnesses and police on the spot call it a terrorist attack.
The complex in Nairobi includes a large hotel known as DusitD2, banks and offices. Several vehicles are burning. People are rushed and carried off the stage.
Gunfire continues a few minutes after the first reports. Black smoke rises from the scene.
Police spokesman Charles Owino says: "We have sent officers on the spot, also from the counter-terrorism unit, but so far we have no information."
Ambulances, security forces and firefighters have crept into the scene, sirens wailing. A large group of women has been brought out by security forces, a woman still in hair curlers.
What appear to be in civilian, security forces are seen that are moving their way to the scene, guns in hand. Helicopters can be heard. Other people seem to seek cover behind fountains and other functions in the sumptuous outdoor complex.
The attack immediately reminds many Kenyans of the attack on the Westgate Mall in Nairobi in 2013, when al-Shabab extremists invaded the luxury shopping mall, swung grenades and started a day-long siege that killed 67 people.
Follow the news from Africa at https://twitter.com/AP_Africa
Copyright 2019 . All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.